Reith Out To Make Most Of Working Holiday

Christian Reith has clicked with Hong Kong racing but he is keeping a wait-and-see attitude on an extended stay as a jockey in one of the world's most glamorous thoroughbred centres.

Acclaimed as one of Sydney's best riders, Reith says he enjoyed his time during an end-of-season Hong Kong stint and he has signed on for another six months when the new racing term starts in September.

But to make certain he is comfortable in his new surroundings, Reith says he didn't want to commit for a full season of racing.

"At this stage I thought it was best to just go for another six months to make sure I like it," Reith said.

"But so far I have settled in well and my riding weight has been the best it has been for ages."

To ensure it stays that way for his return to Hong Kong, Reith wasted no time chasing Sydney riding opportunities.

He was back in the saddle at Randwick last week and his work ethic has presented him with the chance to win a black-type race at Rosehill on Saturday.

Reith will ride Romantic Moon for Bart and James Cummings in the $100,000 Winter Stakes.

As a $7 chance, the three-year-old filly is one of only three runners under double figures after a Rosehill 1500m victory last month when she enjoyed an uncontested lead against her own sex.

When trained by John O'Shea, Romantic Moon won the Sweet Embrace Stakes en route to contesting last year's Golden Slipper.

She returns to stakes racing for the first time since finishing down the course in the Edward Manifold Stakes at Flemington during last year's spring carnival.

Ironically, O'Shea prepares the Winter Stakes favourite Generalife in his role as the head trainer for Sheikh Mohammed's Darley racing operation.

Generalife heads markets at $3 to give Darley's maroon and white silks a fitting farewell as the racing stable prepares to join the world-famous Godolphin brand from August 1.

A winner of his past two starts, the in-form sprinter has assumed outright favouritism over Scream Machine ($3.40), another in-form galloper also chasing a hat-trick of Sydney wins.