Epsom Handicap Plans Unveiled For Cluster

Punters who backed Cluster to odds-on favouritism at Rosehill probably expected him to win by more than a neck but his trainer was more than happy with the manner of his victory.

Peter Snowden plans to aim Cluster at the Epsom Handicap in October and Saturday's win is an important stepping stone.

The former Darley trainer who is now in partnership with his son Paul, has faith the rising four-year-old can measure up.

Horse trainer Peter SnowdenHorse trainer Peter Snowden

"He probably did get further back than we wanted," Snowden said.

"And I think when we analyse the race the win will be better than it looked.

"He had a lot of work to do to come from behind.

"It was an important win because he needs to get his rating up to get in the better races.

"I think his rating is about 82 and is four or five points below where we want it to be to have him peaking in early October.

"The Epsom is the race we are aiming at."

Starting favourite, Cluster ($1.55) beat Rock Sturdy ($10) with Mount Nebo ($14) another 1-1/4 lengths third.

Formerly trained by Anthony Cummings, Cluster came to the Snowdens after a long injury break as a maiden and has won both his starts for his new trainers.

Jockey Josh Parr said he opted to let the colt find his feet after he came out of the barriers slowly.

"He just laid on the side of the barrier," Parr said.

"He didn't do a hell of a lot wrong but when we came out half slow I just got him to come back.

"Horses with this ability, they are so adaptable, you can ride them wherever you like.

"I'm doing all I can to stay on him. All you can do is win on them.

"I haven't been this excited about a horse for a while."

Cluster's next run is likely to be the Show County Quality next month with the Tramway on September 6 a goal.

The winner of the Tramway is exempt from a ballot on the Group One Epsom (1600m) on October 4.