Flemington Double For Katelyn Mallyon

Katelyn Mallyon's ambitions of winning a second Melbourne apprentices' premiership have been boosted with a winning double at Flemington on Saturday.

Multiple stakes-placed sprinter Zamorar's last-stride win in the Singapore Turf Club Handicap (1000m) brought up the double for Mallyon to send her two wins clear in a competitive race for the junior riders' premiership.

Mallyon, who won the title two seasons ago, went into the meeting with a one-win advantage over Jye McNeil and Harry Coffey.

Mallyon and McNeil traded early wins with Mallyon successful on Written before McNeil pegged one back with victory on three-year-old O'Malley in the Bruce Gadsden Handicap.

Zamorar, the $3.30 favourite, was first-up after having a throat operation and the David Bourne-trained sprinter chased down the leader Fab Fevola to prevail by a half head with Smackdown another short head away third.

"Once I rode my first winner today, Jye rode another winner so it's a really good little battle going on," Mallyon said.

"It's exciting.

"I've won one (apprentices' premiership) before but in bad circumstances so it's good to be riding and competing for the second one."

Mallyon was injured in a race fall and spent eight months on the sidelines, including the final 10 weeks of her premiership season two years ago.

She was confident in her Flemington book of rides and said it was a thrill to get the second winner of the day, not just to extend her lead in the premiership.

"I'm just glad I got that second one up. It meant a lot riding that horse too," Mallyon said, adding she was close friends with Alexandra Bourne, the daughter Zamorar's trainer.

"He (Zamorar) chased Fab Fevola down and it was a good effort by him. It's good to see him back and breathing properly."

McNeil, meanwhile, was impressed by the win of O'Malley, which kept him right in contention for the apprentices' premiership.

"It keep things interesting," he said.