River Lad In Pre-training For Melbourne

Stradbroke Handicap winner River Lad is back in pre-training in preparation for the Melbourne spring carnival.

River Lad is at Washpool Lodge, a spelling complex north of Brisbane, where he has been able to take advantage of the water walker to regain fitness.

Trainer Natalie McCall said River Lad was likely to come back into the stable shortly to prepare for a southern campaign beginning with the Gilgai Stakes in early October.

"At this stage we hope to run him in the Gilgai Stakes on October 4 before looking at the big Group sprints," McCall said.

River Lad's win in Queensland's premier race was complemented by a second to grand mare Appearance in the Group Two Expressway Stakes in Sydney and victory in the Group Three BRC Sprint.

The gelding is by Top Echelon who traces back to champion galloper Gunsynd on his dam's side.

Top Echelon, who ran second to Lovely Jubly in the 2002 Group One J J Atkins Stakes, stands at Craiglea Stud on the Sunshine Coast.

He has produced a string of smart horses in recent times including Our Boy Malachi, Ellawisdom, Topping, Lady Echelon and Craiglea Tina.

McCall was in the winner's circle again on Saturday with another Top Echelon galloper, Not Too Sure.

It was Not Too Sure's first start for McCall after he won four races in Victoria for trainer Gary Shearer.

"Not Too Sure had form around some handy horses in Victoria and he has really bloomed since we got him. We might look for something a bit tougher with him now," McCall said.

The trainer says there is no secret to her success with the Top Echelon breed.

"My dad (trainer Ray McCall) trained Top Echelon and we know how good he was on the track," she said.

"I only have three Top Echelons at the moment and would be happy to take a few more. I think there will be a few more at the sales in the future."