Qld WFA Race In August Is A Must: Moody

Peter Moody has renewed his call for Queensland to have a weight-for-age race in August to help southern trainers prepare for the spring carnival.

Moody, speaking after Group One Randwick Guineas winner Dissident had a barrier trial at Doomben, said Queensland racing officials had everything to gain if they programmed a weight-for-age race in the first month of the Australian racing season.

"I said it 20 years ago when I was in Queensland and I will keep saying it," Moody said. "If they ran a weight-for-age sprint over 1200 metres in Brisbane in August they would get a good field.

Trainer Peter MoodyTrainer Peter Moody

"A lot of trainers spell their top horses in Queensland and are looking for races to bring them back in August. There is nothing in Queensland and we have to go south.

"Nothing has broken down, they are up there and even if it was worth only $100,000 I think you would be surprised at the good horses they would get."

The leading Melbourne trainer was also quick to thank Racing Queensland staff after his spring plans for Dissident and two-year-old Better Land were almost involved in an early setback.

"There was a mix-up at RISA and neither horse was in the original trial fields. I have to thank RQ for helping fix things up so they could run," he said.

Dissident ran second in a 1000-metre heat and Moody said his staff reported the rising four-year-old, who spelled in Queensland, had pulled up well.

"Michael Cahill rode him in the trial and he was also happy with the way he went," Moody said.

Moody said Dissident would return to Sydney and run in races such as the Warwick Stakes, Chelmsford Stakes and George Main Stakes before heading to Melbourne.

"His ultimate goal will be the Cox Plate in October," he said.

Meanwhile, it was Better Land who caught the eye with the trial of the morning.

Better Land won a 1000-metre trial in 58.86 seconds and wasn't knocked about by Cahill.

"He is a nice horse and he might have a start in Brisbane before we bring him back south. I would be looking at some of the nice three-year-old races for him," Moody said.

Better Land, who is by Shamardal from the brilliant 2008 Silver Slipper winner Amelia's Dream, won his only start at Sale in April.