Winks In Caulfield Cup Audition For Waller

James Winks treats every ride he has for Chris Waller as an audition for a Caulfield Cup mount.

Winks won three races, including the Group Three Easter Cup, on exciting import Our Voodoo Prince in the autumn but is likely to face stiff competition to keep the mount in the spring.

The Melbourne-based Winks will be at a disadvantage when Our Voodoo Prince starts his spring campaign in Sydney but he has hopes of being at the forefront of Waller's mind for plum carnival mounts.

"I'm always happy to get a ride for Chris, he's a great trainer and you know his horses are in great shape when you get on them," Winks said.

"I'd be thrilled to get back on Our Voodoo Prince if the opportunity came my way."

Winks knows only his best will do as he rides another import for the trainer when he partners Fulgur in Saturday's Catanch's Jewellers Handicap (1800m) at Caulfield.

The jockey says the higher-weighted stablemate Bagman will be the toughest to beat in Saturday's contest after solid efforts at his last two runs in Sydney.

"Fulgur's always around the mark but looking on paper, the top weight is the one to beat," Winks said.

"My bloke is very consistent. I rode him three starts back at Moonee Valley and he didn't have a lot of luck in a race The Cleaner dominated from the front."

Waller said he could scratch Fulgur from Caulfield if the track was too wet, leaving Rugged Cross and Bagman to represent the stable.

Winks rides work at Waller's Flemington stable once a week and the Group One-winning jockey hopes his efforts can reap a reward even if he loses the ride on Our Voodoo Prince.

"If it's not Our Voodoo Prince, Chris has plenty of good-quality horses that can measure up so I'd be happy to pick up some more rides."