Tim Bell Claims Brisbane Jockeys' Title

Jockey Tim Bell fulfilled a dream when he won his first Brisbane jockeys' premiership at Eagle Farm on Wednesday.

Bell, 21, went into the day leading arch rival Michael Cahill 57 wins to 56 but he put the issue beyond doubt in the first race when he scored on Colour Me Pretty.

Cahill failed to ride a winner on the program, giving Bell a two-win victory.

Bell said claiming the premiership had been one of his goals in what was his first full season riding in Brisbane as a senior jockey.

"I had a stint in Melbourne the previous year and missed part of the season. This win was a 12 month plan and I hope to become a multiple winner in the future," Bell said.

The highlight of Bell's season came during the winter carnival when he rode a black type treble including his first Group One winner Tinto in the Queensland Oaks.

Bell said he had been lucky to have support from leading trainers and his parents Grant and Kelley.

In the long-term he is hoping to follow in the footsteps of other star young jockeys such as Michael Rodd and Zac Purton who had success in Brisbane before going on to forge careers interstate and overseas.

Cahill was gracious in defeat, giving credit to Bell's determination to run him down after he led by a big margin midseason.

"The premiership was gone before today. I haven't put up the white flag but I have been having one of those trots when things just don't go right," Cahill said.

"But I have ridden over 100 winners this season and if I finish second in the Brisbane premiership again next season I have had a good season."

Meanwhile, trainer Bryan Guy joked he might have to send Platinum State for a 12-month spell after the gelding won his fifth race at Eagle Farm in the Gallopers Hcp (1300m).

"He is a far better horse at Eagle Farm and I don't know what we will do when they shut the track for seven months," Guy said.

Apprentice Janette Johnson continued her good run with a win on Platinum State, her only ride for the day.

"She has ridden five winners in a week and can claim 3kg. Why she doesn't get more rides in town is anyone's guess," Guy said.